Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The day being a Muslim made me proud!

As a practicing Muslim I've always been very proud of my religion and have tried to abide by the basic tenets, praying whenever and as much as possible, abstaining from alcohol and other sorts of addictions, traveling and exploring the world (and eventually Mecca) and so on.

My proudest moment in being a Muslim though came on a recent trip to Shanghai, China.

I'm not a big fan of solo trips but I had to make this one for our outbound travel company, V3 Travels, as we were invited to attend the International Luxury Travel Market in Shanghai. So I went ahead for it and just like every other work trip extended my stay by a few days to explore Shanghai.

Now obviously a trip for me cannot be complete without doing some of the walking tours and I had signed up for a Ghost Walk on a Friday evening of my stay. Since I knew that I'd like to go and read namaz in the afternoon and also check out some interesting mosques of Shanghai.

So I made my way to the Huxi (pronounced 'who she') mosque located amidst high-rises in an otherwise very sterile part of town. My friend Noshir's imitation of a Chinese saying 'Assalam Walaikum' with a thick accent and squinted eyes was the image that brought a smile to my face. I did not know what lay in store for me.

I arrived at Changde Lu in the northern Jing'an area and was completely mesmerized by what I saw. The entire section of the street around the mosque was taken up by food stalls - just like back home. :-)

The dominant community selling food, fruits, halal meat et al were the Uyghurs of the Xinjiang province. An area marked by being in the news for all the wrong reasons. But having been to Kashmir a couple of years ago I knew that there's always another reality on the ground than what governments or media project.

The amazing thing was that these Uyghurs did not look very Chinese but rather like an Uzbek friend I had. I went to one of the stalls serving kababs and nang (which looked and tasted the same as the Indian naan) and sat down to order. Before I could a couple of really big black guys came and sat next to me with a huge amount of food. They looked towards me and gestured me to partake of their food. I politely refused saying that I'd go and order my portion. But they insisted and exclaimed, 'You Muslim brother from India. Eat.' I was so impressed by their generosity that I did not have the heart to resist any further and started eating with them. We kept finishing seekh after seekh and kept ordering for more. While eating they told me they were from Sudan and the company they worked for sent them to Shanghai.

Before long, two young Chinese Muslims joined us. They were from outside the city but lived and worked for a software company there. They bought tea and brought it to the table for everyone to share from. Beautiful aromatic Uyghur tea. It was becoming quite a magical meal already.

As we were on the last morsels of kebabs along came two very handsome looking old'ish men in their 50's. They said they were from Turkey and had brought some fruits, namely apricots and apples, to share with us. We sat there eating, chatting, laughing, making jokes about each others' countries for a long time after - all bound by one common thread. The common thread of belonging to one religion. Of following one book. What a beautiful day it was.

We dispersed only when the muezzin called and it was time for prayers.

I still get goosebumps when I think about that day. My warmest experience of a city robbed of it's warmth by rapid modernization and uncontrolled urbanization. By far it was the most magical and most proud moment of my entire life as a Muslim so far.

The Chinese brothers that got us tea.

Sudanese brothers who bought me the food. 
The great looking Uyghurs have fabulous food to offer.

The Turkish guys buying fruits. 

This Uyghur man sold the best watermelon I've had in a long time. His family in the background.

6 comments:

  1. "A simple act of kindness from a complete stranger can completely un-stitch you." - Chris Abani.

    Humanity at its best :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MashAllah great post thanks for sharing.

    When I went to Egypt at the tomb of Hatshepsut , there was one security guard who embraced me after I told him I was muslim and he said I was his brother. Allhamdullilah what an amazing feeling.

    He showed me his whole family pics and chatted with me. He told he normally charges a bit of tips for taking pics of the area as it was restricted but would allow for free because I was muslim and even let me hold his gun. I did give him some money but told him it wasnt any tips but for his beautiful children.

    Once in Paris late at night, we were being bugged by some guy on the street who was trying to take us to strip bars. After I told him I was muslim, he backed off and then started apologising to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear brothers and sisters may Allah the Merciful , the Compationate grant us a a place beside our beloved prophet , May Allah 's peace and blessings be upon him . in El Ferdouse Paradise . ِ Dear Chris Abani , thank you for this expression : "" "A simple act of kindness from a complete stranger can completely un-stitch you."" Now , let remind all my brothers and sisters in Islam of what the Noble Quran says ; " Have you not considered how Allah sets forth the parable of a good Word? (It is) like a good tree. Its roots are firmly rooted, while its branches (high up) in the sky. It produces its fruit all the time, by permission of its Lord. And Allah presents examples for the people that perhaps they will be reminded. And the example of a bad word is like a bad tree, uprooted from the surface of the earth, not having any stability."" ( Quran . sura : Ibrahim , verses from 24 to 26 . Now , here is a hadith on the same topic in which our beloved prophet says : "" Verily, the most beloved and nearest to me on the Day of Resurrection are those of you with the best character, and verily the most hated of you to me and the furthest from my fathering on the Day of Resurrection will be the pompous, the extravagant, and the pretentious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete